Dyreparken dates from approx. 1580 when the Danish King Frederik II owned the woods besides Skanderborg Castle (now The Royal Chapel of Skanderborg). He had the land fenced in and laid out as a royal park with red deers, wild boars, rabbits and fish ponds.
During World War II the German army set up their headquarters here.
Today the park has woods, up to 100 years old Rhodondendrons, paths along Skanderborg Lake, Sorte Sø Lake and Døjsø Lake and a rich flora and fauna.
The Occupation Museum is situated in the wood in the bunkers from the time of the occupation (opposite Skanderborg Danhostel Youth Hostel) and a little Deerpark by Lake Sorte Sø.
Please visit our website for more information
Skønnest ved Skanderborg